Saturday, August 25, 2007

The Dough is Alive!


We just about always have some sort of dough rising in our house at all times. I am by no means an expert baker, but I do enjoy the smell, feel, sight and thought of fresh bread in the kitchen. I have just started getting very interested in baking bread and have engulfed myself in books, blogs and other websites about bread baking. Right now I have sourdough seed starter, ciabatta rising, and pizza dough in the fridge (All from Peter Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice (BBA)). I feel satisfied that I am doing what I do. What I do is get very interested in certain subjects, for short periods of time. (BTW, you can ask my wife,Sandy, about that, because she can probably name at least a hundred different 'interests' I've had over the last 15 years we've been married.) Luckily for her, she has not been one of these short-lived interests (ha, ha). Back to bread baking, I don't think that this will be a short lived interest, but I could be wrong...for now though, I'm just going to enjoy the ride and maybe eat some good bread along the way. Definitely, I will learn some, possibly useless, information in the process.

I have been trying to take some pictures of the different processes that I have been trying for the last few days and taking notes, (which, BTW, I hate to do, because I lose my train of thought, but after years and years of forgetting the perfect recipe for some off the wall dish that I just happened to do very well...I caved and started taking notes.) Oh well, I am going to try to do better on this blog than on the last one that lasted for one entry. Yeah, I started another food blog...we had just gotten back from China (adopting our little girl) and I was very excited about the hot pot and other dishes that we had tried, but I never could get motivated to put any more entries on there. I have many pictures and food stories to share...maybe someday.

Anyway, I am married to my previously mentioned wife Sandy and we have 4 kids and number 5 on the way in October. All of the kids love bread and pizza, so they support my newest hobby.

A couple more thoughts before I go check the ciabatta dough...I really want to try sourdough baking (which from the different blogs and websites I have read is not too easy) and build my own wood fired oven in the back yard. If I can accomplish those two things in the next year, I will be somewhat satisfied about this bread thing...I think.

No comments: